Tuesday 7 April Covid-19 update
As we settle into a kind of routine in these extraordinary times we can give an update on what services we can still provide to the community. Some of the ways we've been able to contribute even though running a reduced service are:
- The Round Chapel Old School Rooms are using one of our cargobikes to do local essential supply deliveries
- Made in Hackney are using one of our cargobikes in their hot food service
- My Green Partner are using one of our large freight cargobike to do all their low-packaging deliveries - we highly recommend their low-packaging excellent service
- Hackney Bread Kitchen are using their boxbike recently bought via the ZEN scheme to deliver bread to customers and their orders have sky-rocketed
- Rushey Green Time Bank are using 1x cargobike to deliver food and meals and they have just bought one of ours to double their capacity
- Bread & Butler cafe in south London have switched to a delivery service using one of our cargobikes plus trailers
- Hillingdon Council are about to initiate a local delivery service once they receive our cargobikes
1) We are still able to hire out cargobikes.
- We are continuing with our one-week-minimum procedure at the basic rate of £100 for everyone (we usually charge more to businesses due to more intensive use of our kit).
- If you are involved in food and essential supplies delivery for highly vulnerable people, or you are an NHS or key worker, we are charging a reduced rate, or providing our vehicles for free where funds are not available.
- We do ask that where possible you hire for 2 weeks or more, in order to reduce the frequency of contact and handovers.
- We are often able to deliver the vehicle to you, for an extra fee if you are able to pay.
- Otherwise we are still operating from our normal premises but outside in order to reduce contact with others and keep activities in the fresh air.
- You must please adhere to all the social distancing rules when dealing with out staff: stay 2m away; wash your hands before and after; also our hygeine routine: wipe down the bikes & equipment with a damp soapy cloth and dry them afterwards in between uses by different people, and before and after handovers.
2) Some of our staff are shielding due to underlying health conditions.
- CarryMe is an inclusive organisation and as a result some of our staff have health conditions which now mean they must 'shield' by staying at home for 12 weeks.
- Other staff have stepped up to the plate and are being absolutely wonderful in their face-to-face activities for us.
3) Our maintenance workshop is not open right now to customers.
- We are not able to take customers' bikes for services or repairs right now, so sorry about this but it's simply the circumstances.
- However we may be able to send a mechanic round to your place if it is urgent, if you are undertaking essential work with your vehicle (e.g. deliveries to vulnerable people) if you are an NHS or key worker, or for other reasons linked with the current extraordinary times.
4) We are still able to order in cargobikes, assemble them and safety-check them for customers.
- You can still order new cargobikes from us.
- Supply chains are still running mostly normally in our sector, although we'd ask for your understanding regarding any possible delays.
5) We are still selling our ex-demo (hire) vehicles.
- If you like one of our hire models please ask for the current price for a quick sale.
- We're somewhat behind with updating all our info on our website regarding what is available and the prices, so please call us to get the latest.
6) Our community project events are on hold.
- Obviously we are not holding our events this Spring and that's likely to continue being the case into Summer.
- We are moving towards online tutorials via YouTube so please keep a look out for that!
- We are also setting up Zoom/Skype-style appointments to give families advice on cycling (carrying young children) - again watch this space!
- Some of the background and prep work for our community projects is still able to carry on so that we can be ready when things go back to normal, although our projects will probably till be very different when they do become available.
We thank all our customers and our project clients for their understanding during these very difficult times, and we do hope that you all remain well and safe.
Love from the CarryMe team x